#ImWithSam: raising awareness of learning disabilities and autism
A detailed lesson plan designed to raise awareness of learning disabilities and autism amongst young people.
This lesson plan, for students aged 11 to 13, aims to give students a better understanding of learning disabilities and autism, and the impact of potential bullying and discrimination.
After the lesson, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an increased understanding and awareness of people with learning disabilities and autism within a diverse society;
- recognise disablist language and bullying: how, where and why it happens and the potential physical and emotional impacts of these behaviours on people with learning disabilities and autism and the communities to which they belong;
- describe or demonstrate ways of challenging disablist language, bullying, discrimination and prejudice;
- identify and evaluate steps that have been taken or could be taken in law and in the community, to change attitudes towards and support people with learning disabilities and autism.
Using this resource
This resource is designed for:
- use with students aged 11 to 14
- use with whole classes
There are more resources in the #ImWithSam series available for schools on the Dimensions website.