Overview of ideas to promote a respectful environment
A list of ideas to help foster an ethos and environment that promotes respect and values diversity.
This resource provides a list of ideas that mental health leads can draw on to foster an environment that promotes mental wellbeing, and respects and values diversity.
The resource provides some simple tips, prompts and practical guidance on how to promote an ethos of respect in education settings. It covers topics such as:
- training for staff
- policies and processes
- a values-based approach to wellbeing
- working with external services and resources
- wellbeing measures and evaluation.
Mental health leads may wish to use this resource as a reference point for discussions with leadership and management, as well as to review current practice and inform further planning.
Using this resource
This resource is designed for:
- use by mental health leads working with students aged 5 to 19+.
This resource addresses the following learning outcomes:
- Use their knowledge to effectively communicate a positive values-based approach, and to promote openness and understanding to normalise mental health and its fluctuations throughout life.
- Understand how they can use local services/resources to enhance their school/college messaging and develop social, emotional and mental health partners in the community.